Saturday, June 23, 2012

First Skate. First Injury.

I went to an open skate today and got back on the ice for the first time in well over a decade. I skated a few laps around and was feeling comfortable. I started picking up the speed and tried to do some crossovers. That's about when I found out just how weak my ankles have become. I lost an edge, bounced the side of my head off the ice, and got a nice little gash on the corner of my eye.

I had no idea I was bleeding until I skated around to my friend and he told me I had blood dripping down the side of my face. The looks on the faces of the figure skater moms when I came off the ice was priceless. I did a quick clean up with some hydrogen peroxide, got back on the ice, and skated out the rest of the session.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with where I'm at for not having skated in such a long time. I have a lot of work to do, but it felt great to be back on skates after so many years. I'm very glad I've decided to pursue this hobby and am already looking forward to getting back on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment